Saturday, July 31, 2010

Piranha 3-D looks like a waste of time.

For those of you fortunate enough to not know about Piranha 3-D. Stop reading this and keep it that way. For those of you who do and are actually looking forward to this, go ahead and waste your money. I just can't get my head around the slasher genre these days. I used to love watching these awesome horror films like Friday the 13th and Black Christmas; these films were what I craved when I was blood thirsty and getting through high school. I couldn't stand a weekend with out a relentless killer being let on the loose on a group of hapless teenagers looking for sex and inebriation from various drugs and alcohol. Now, that seems to have changed. I look at todays slasher films, and they're either to over the top in violence or they're just to lame for me to take seriously. Piranha 3-D is a little bit of both mixed together, with a major dollop of 'WHY?!' tossed in. The reason 'WHY?!' is thrown in there is because of this, Why do we need a remake of an already crappy horror film? Why can't we make it less like Jaws if it was released for exploitation cinema and more like an original concept? And why is Bloody-Disgusting so pumped about this movie when The Last Exorcism is coming out a week after this movie? The answers are all simple.
Money for the first 2, and because they don't know any better. If anything has taught me about remakes is that most of these films that are remade never have the same quality from the original; examples include Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and anything else that Michael Bay has touched. While, remakes like Halloween and Friday the 13th I do mildly enjoy because they can technically be considered sequels, they still don't hold a candle to the originals and what they did for the industry. The real exceptions I make to the 'remakes suck' argument are a few from the 80's, namely The Blob, The Fly and The Thing, but even these are being considered for reboots. What it all comes down to though, it's always about the money. If stupid kids will flock to a movie filled with tits and violence, then it'll make at least a couple million.
Though I still wonder why there hasn't been anything really new for a while now. It seems that we've run out of creativity for movies these days, and while yes some could stand to be remade (I'm still waiting for my Metropolis and London After Midnight thank you very much), the ones they are remaking aren't that old. Movies like My Bloody Valentine, Evil Dead and even something about a Scream remake (that would just be META, maybe they should put in rules about how to survive a remake). These movies aren't even that old, Scream came out less than 20 years ago and you just can't recapture the same feeling from My Bloody Valentine, particularly in 3-D.
And with Bloody-Disgusting, I'm not going to lie, this year has been a little slow on the horror films. Last year we had great horror movie after great horror movie, with The Orphan coming out in the summer, Halloween 2 closing out the summer (it's a sequel, it doesn't follow the ways of the original Halloween 2), Zombieland and Paranormal Activity both coming out strong in October taking over Saw (at least I think they did) and the release of the great Halloween anthology Trick R' Treat. This year though, we've had The Wolfman... and that's it so far. We have The Last Exorcism to look forward to, and the 'final' Saw movie which is going to be shown in 3-D. But we've also had those craptastic Twilight movies coming out and being labelled as horror (please, if that's horror then Casablanca is really Lolita), that hasn't really helped out with the name of horror in my opinion. But none the less, Bloody-Disgusting should recognize a crap movie when they see one, considering they did a list of movie from this past decade that completely sucked, and a good amount of them they were ranting and raving about with pictures from the sets and exclusive footage and what not. That said, Bloody-Disgusting is actually quite split in it's personality over movies.
So while yes, this may seem a little contrived of me to harp on bad remakes of bad horror films, as well as the sites that promote them, this is just me making my opinion vocalized. If you really feel that a movie like Piranha 3-D is worth seeing, go do it. I've done just as bad things before (Prom Night, why is that a movie about killing teens gets a lower rating than a movie that shows people smoking pot) and I'll probably do similar again. I'm just trying to warn some of this trend that can be seen from a mile away and get them to stick to original films, maybe then we can try and send a message to the sparkling city and see no more remakes for a while now.
And for those that are curious about my dislike towards the film, there's a 9 minute clip of badly recorded film from a screening up on Bloody-Disgusting. Here is the link so you can see it for yourself.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21121

No comments:

Post a Comment